Tuesday, October 05, 2004

My honeymoon with the place called KGP

Kharagpur, the place where i am currently studying is not a big city.Rather it is a small town with only two credentials to its name.The first one is the fact that it has world's longest railway platform, although i always wonder for what the hell this english man had built such a long platform which currently accomodate two trains simultaneously at a single side.The second big feature of this place is it has got one of the most reputed engineering college of india( even boasted of as the best engineering college in whole India).This both institutions ie railways (kgp is currently headquarter of eastern zone of indian railways) & iit is driving the life & economy here.
My confortment with kharagpur took place after i have visited IIT powai which has got great scenic & architectural beautiful campus.This very fact forced me to anticipate same thing from kharagpur,but after i came here to my great exasperation i found this place misfitting all my expactation & embedding all my inhibitions. In place of edifices & lofty buildings( i have seen in iit powai) i found damp & unvarnished buildings which should be declared national heritage untill now............ In place of beautiful loans & gardens there was land...hell a lot of land......... land full of green grass........ as if we are here to learn a lesson of how to keep our country green. Only the good facility which this place can boast about was 24 hrs internet & LAN connectivity. I was already down the dumps at that time due to my dismal performance in jee that i was furthur shattered by the place. My dismondency was upto the point that i begun to think that all my hardwork & labour which i have put to get into an iit was in vain.That was the hardest time i had ever faced which will haunt me all through my life.But i accepted it as my destiny & decided to adapt myself according to circumstances.
Today after spending 2 years at this place i can't say that it is a nice place but it do have something which gives it an edge over all other iits, that is its social life. IIT Kgp is sheltering around 15 hostels called halls. Each hall is having its own unique traditions and peculiarities. Each hall exist as a family where most of the guys know all other guys very well. This all interaction (each hall consist of 300-400 boys all having diverse hobbies & skills) lead to growth of overall personality & community skills which other places can only boast about.This is the attribute which make this place a unique one.Sometimes when i get frustrated by the place due to nonavailabilty of some facility or comfort which is considered to be must for a cultured being i do serious contemplation about the advantages & disadvantages of being here. But this is the place where i was destined to live for 5 years & i will like to make my stay here worth rememberable althrough my life so that at the end of the day i can say nostalgically....................... U Can Take An Iitian out of Kgp,But U Can't Take Kgp Out of An Iitkgpian.........
YO!!!!! Kgp..............Kgp ka tempo high hai

No comments: